I don’t usually hop on these memes, but I’ve been tagged and certainly don’t want to be the one to break this modern day chain letter. The name of the game is to list 5 interesting/odd/unique things about yourself that most people may not know.
1. I play (or at least know how to play) the bagpipes. I learned at Trinity College, where I joined the Trinity Pipes and Drums in it’s founding year. We performed on campus, hosted a campus Ceilidh, and marched in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Hartford, CT (in the sleet/freezing rain).
2. I have a 1 inch diameter birthmark on the inside of my left ankle. And even after all these years, I can never remember which ankle it’s on without checking.
3. In highschool I took a series of computer art classes, where I did 3D animation on some old Amiga computers. An animation of mine was accepted into SIGGRAPH 97 as part of the Student Poster and Animation Competition and Exhibition. As the only highschool entry in animation, I guess I “won” my category. I didn’t win anything except the honor of having my animation played as part of the collection loop, on a TV at a small booth just outside the exhibition hall. I attended SIGGRAPH 97 in LA (during a heat wave) that summer, and didn’t even get a free admission, although I still had a great time.
4. My parents own a Christmas tree farm in New Hartford, CT. I think it’s about 5 acres, and I spent many a summer with more than enough yard/farm work to keep me busy if I wanted. Worst job ever: Trimming the white pines in August with a heavy machete, wearing long sleeves and pants for protection.
5. Proudest moment from grade school is when I tripped the neighborhood bully as he was walking down the aisle to get off the school bus. He couldn’t catch himself and fell flat on his face in the middle of the bus, with everyone laughing. He got up, shaken, and then turned and punched me in the top of the head. I’m positive it hurt his hand much more than my head. He didn’t bother us quite as much after that.
Well, there you have it. 5 things you may or may not have known. Now it’s your turn. Tag, suckers: