Remember those awesome NBC Public Service Announcements between Saturday morning cartoons, or the after school kids shows? The ones that always had that upbeat jingle at the end and the flying star trailing a rainbow. 30 second gems of wisdom, summed up with, “The More You Know”. Well, thanks to the wonders of the Internet tubes (and YouTube users who must have some very old videotapes lying around) you can relive some of those moments. Here’s what I found…
- The More You Know About Self Esteem – A more recent ad with new logo.
- The More You Know About Alcohol – John Larroquette is an alcoholic.
- The More You Know About Teachers – “Don’t wet your pants.”
- The More You Know About STDs
- The More You Know About Drugs
- The More You Know About Teaching – A Bill Cosby classic. “This time you get the big desk.”
Of course YouTube is full of parodies too. I wasn’t impressed with too many and got tired quick, but I’m sure there are some good ones out there. I still think The Office did it all too well with their round of PSAs for the workplace.
Lastly, I came across two more clips from the even older-school NBC. Before “The More You Know” there was “Betcha Don’t Know”. These took a more scientific education angle than the life lessons we got later. I give you: Betcha Don’t Know Why the Sky is blue, and Betcha Don’t Know Zits.
Have you found any other classic “The More You Know” PSAs out there?